Summary of LIFE Malopolska – October 2022
- On 4 October an application was submitted for the implementation of the new project „Reducing energy poverty and improving air quality”, operating within the financial instrument of LIFE. The aim of the project is to prepare and implement complex solutions in the area of reducing air pollution created by heating buildings of people affected by energy poverty.
- On 10-13 October the representatives of projects LIFE IP Małopolska in healthy atmosphere and LIFE IP EKOMAŁOPOLSKA for Climate and Energy represented our region at the 20th European Week of Regions and Cities #EURegionsWeek. The themes of this year’s European Week of Regions and Cities included ecological and digital transformation among others.
- On 24 October a sitting of the parliamentary subcommittee on air quality was held in Kraków. During the meeting Deputy Director of the Department of Environment Piotr Łyczko presented the actions of the Małopolskie Voivodeship in the area of air protection.
- Eco-managers distributed a total of more than 7 thousand informational and educational materials and gave over 20 thousand pieces of advice to residents of Małopolska.
Advice and help for residents
In October Eco-managers working on the LIFE program provided the following counselling assistance to the residents of Małopolska:
- 9,653 people received in the office
- 9,315 by telephone
- 760 in writing or by e-mail
- 303 during on-site visits
302 inspections of residents’ households regarding waste incineration were undertaken. In 13 cases, violations of regulations were found.
Surveys from residents and funding applications
Eco-managers were involved in collecting applications for funding from residents. In October 2022:
- 862 applications were collected from residents interested in benefiting from funding for heat source replacement.
Eco-managers entered or updated data on 12,166 properties in the Central Energy Efficiency and Building Heating Records (CEEB).
C.2. Competence Centre
In October, 426 reports were accepted. The application is available at https://ekomalopolska.pl/app/ekointerwencja/index.html.
Specifically there were:
- 240 air pollution reports,
- 135 illegal waste disposal reports,
- 44 were related to sewage and wastewater discharges,
- 7 were classified as other types of reports,
The Competence Centre responded to more than 200 inquiries directed to the UMWM in the form of e-mails and 350 telephone inquiries.
E.1. Regional media campaign for clean air
On 28 October an informational and educational campaign in local radio stations ended. The main element of the campaign was the broadcasting of radio spots. As part of the collaboration, a total of 1,800 spots were broadcasted in 7 radio stations, 10 articles were published on the radio stations’ websites and social media, and 8 interviews were conducted with eco-managers and experts on the subject of air protection. One of the elements of the campaign was interactive activities in the form of competitions for listeners, the winners of which were gifted air quality meters. The informational and educational activities were addressed to the residents of Małopolska. The main message related to the so-called anti-smog resolution and the initiatives in the area of air protection undertaken by the Małopolska Voivodeship. The campaign promoted specific actions contributing to the reduction of air pollution in the region, such as: replacement of high-emission boilers, thermo-modernisation of buildings, use of Renewable Energy Sources, implementation of technologies favourable to improvement of air quality.
E.2. Local informational and educational activities on air protection
Educational materials on air protection
Eco-managers in municipalities:
- distributed 5,506 flyers and brochures and 251 posters,
- prepared and distributed 1,642 other educational and promotional materials (promotional materials, leaflets related to the Clean Air Programme, board games and school materials for children).
Meetings & Events
Eco-managers organized meetings and events:
- 4 competitions for children and youth with 267 participants,
- 20 school and kindergarten meetings attended by 830 people,
- 3 meetings with residents attended by 140 people,
- 33 meetings with local leaders, totalling 145 people.
- 19 other air protection events with 2,541 attendees.
Use of media
Eco-managers in municipalities prepared:
- 14 articles in the press,
- 79 articles and posts online and in social media,
- 44 times other media were used
and participated in media releases related to the project:
- 2 radio or TV broadcasts.
E.3. Networking with other projects
- On 4 October an application was submitted for the implementation of the new project „Reducing energy poverty and improving air quality”, operating within the financial instrument of LIFE. In case the application is accepted, the project will be implemented in cooperation with 10 partners, including: 7 municipalities of the Małopolskie Voivodeship, Caritas, Institute for Sustainable Energy “Miękinia” and a cross-border partner from Romania. In case of the positive decision of the European Comission, the implementation of the project will start in 2023, and subsequently end in 2028. The aim of the project is to prepare and implement complex solutions in the area of reducing air pollution created by heating of buildings of people affected by energy poverty.
- On 7 October, as part of the exchange of experience between projects, a meeting was held in connection with the LIFE REMY project implemented by IOŚ-PIB. The meeting was aimed at presenting the work carried out as part of the project, with particular emphasis on data and results for Poland.
- On 10-13 October the representatives of projects LIFE IP Małopolska in healthy atmosphere and LIFE IP EKOMAŁOPOLSKA for Climate and Energy represented our region at the 20th European Week of Regions and Cities #EURegionsWeek. It is the biggest annual event concerning regional policy, attended by thousands of participants from the entire EU. The main conference, divided into thematic panels, is accompanied by meetings, exhibitions and events meant for networking in the area of regional and local development. The themes of this year’s European Week of Regions and Cities included ecological and digital transformation among others.
- On 24 October a sitting of the parliamentary subcommittee on air quality was held. During the meeting Deputy Director of the Department of Environment Piotr Łyczko presented the actions of the Małopolskie Voivodeship in the area of air protection.
E.4. Promotion of the implementation of the Project
On 4 October, as part of the Erasmus+ project, in the Wielka Wieś municipality a meeting was held with the students and teachers from Slovakia, Czech Republic and Romania. During the meeting the Manager of the air protection team, Katarzyna Stadnik, spoke about actions undertaken to improve air quality in the Małopolskie Voivodeship.